Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

You're Gonna Miss This...

Today started a little rough for Mikayla and me. She is on this screaming frenzy while wanting to be picked up, put down, crawling, and climbing the stairs (thanks Mark). If you don't know, Mikayla can Scream. I mean high pitched ear piercing scream. When I tell people with kids this, they smile and say "ya we know how it is", then Mikayla lets one rip and they turn back to me with the biggest look of sympathy on their face. I will have a video soon, but even the video doesn't let you hear her wonderful rang.

So anyway, I am overly tired today since I was woken up three times last night by a child that sleeps very restlessly. Last night we tried to put Mikayla back in her crib to sleep, but that lasted only two hours and she was back in bed with us. Now you have to imagine this bed of ours. We have a king size bed. The bed sleeps Mark, Mikayla, Bailey and Phoebe (two of our dogs), and myself. The two dogs that sleep on the bed are not small either. Bailey is 65 lbs. and Phoebe is 50 lbs. How do we do it? You got me, but we do.

Mikayla is on a pretty routine schedule. At night she likes to read and play until around 8:30-9:00p.m. At this point she wants a little more food to push her over the edge of sleep and then lays her head on mine or Mark's shoulder to fall asleep. If I am ready to go to bed, I will take her and sleep while Mark does school work.

At around 2:00a.m. I get woken up with either a punch to the face, a slap to the cheek, or my beard get pulled. Now you have to understand that Miss Thing isn't awake at this point. She is doing this in her sleep. So for the next 15-30 minutes I am fighting with a 9 month old baby's hands. Trying to keep them off my person. Then I get kicked in the groin. Fine. I gently push her away from me and try to get back to sleep. She then rolls towards me and starts the fight all over again.

The out of nowhere, her hands stop and she is asleep once again. This last until 6:30-7:00a.m. when she starts to wake. She is just like Mark, they both need at least 30 minutes to wake up and start the day. Me, on the other hand, can jump out of bed and go (or I used to). Now I am so tired from fighting with sleeping baby hands that I want a little more time to rest before we start the day of screaming.

So with an understanding of my sleep deprivation, I was making lunch for Mikayla and myself when on the radio came a song I had never heard before. The song is from Trace Adkins and is called "You're Gonna Miss This". This has to be the best song for any parent and it is now my favoritest song. I understand it because Mark and I have many times sat and talked about the past year and how we already miss the little baby that was Mikayla. The first smile, laugh, cry, feelings of anger, feelings of joy, and yes even the first poop. I have those stories and tell them all the time. They are what makes Mikayla who she is and what makes us her parents. So anyway...

Below is the only video that I could find of it, but you get the idea. So remember that no matter how bad it may seem, you will miss it one day.

No comments: