Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Marty McConnell...

I was searching the web for god only knows what, but I am sure it was something for my school work, when I came across these videos. They are part of Def Poetry which recognizes the power of urban poetry on modern culture. Top rap music impresario Simmons, whose Def Jam Records launched the careers of artists such as LL Cool J and Jay-Z, teamed up with HBO to create Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry in 2001, turning the spotlight on the freshest and most fearless voices in America today.

The person I found to hit me where I think is Marty McConnell. Marty McConnell transplanted herself from Chicago to New York City in 1999, after completing three national tours with the Morrigan, an all-female performance poetry troupe she co-founded. She received her MFA in creative writing/poetry from Sarah Lawrence College, and competed in the 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 National Poetry Slams with the NYC/Union Square team. She is a member of the louderARTS Project, which runs two reading series, ongoing workshops and collaborative performances in NYC. (see rest of Bio here)

Here are two works by here. The first deals with the frustration that many (myself included) feel about America, especially after Tuesday night's (March 4th) primaries and with wonderful feeling that McCain will be the next George Bush.


Instructions For A Body:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should get in touch with her. Word has it that she has a poem about bears specifically.