Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Monday, March 3, 2008

Healthy...

Just got back from the Coop, and unknowingly I had spent over $90. Everytime I get to the checkout lane I am always surprised (even though I shouldn't be). This is what we have to pay to eat healthy and local. I don't think that I bought anything that wasn't under $5. Everything that is organic or healthy is still way over priced. The coop allows us to purchase items that are organic, local, or not filled with Red #40 and other things that can kill us. I am just wondering how people can afford this. I truly believe that if I were not with Mark (he is turning me into a hippie), I would be eating all the crap I usually eat.

This is how we paid off all our bills while in Florida. We would get the Sunday paper and clip the coupons. We would look at the stores fliers (which we had four stores in our general area) and write down what was on sale. We then cross-referenced Mark's little (I mean little) cheat sheet as to where we could buy something for the cheapest price. The cheat sheet was broken down by price per pound. We would then make a list of what we needed for the week. We would also over buy if the price was so low that it couldn't be passed up. We would then go from store to store to get what we needed. We would hit every store and this would take us about an hour and a half to do. We wouldn't spend over $50 per week, but we always had enough to eat and always had groceries to spare.

I think back on this and ask myself what the hell I put in my body. Almost everything we had was processed and full of unhealthy chemicals (as if there are healthy chemicals). I remember we would buy hamburger for $.98 per pound. Now I think back and wonder how long this had been sitting around and why was it so cheap.

I keep thinking about the election and that what is talked about most is health care. I truly think that our health would be so much better if all the facts were given to us. If people in the Dept. of Ag realize that downed cattle are not best for human consumption. That people realize that all the chemicals that you put in your body actually causes problems later in life. We need to wake up and start supporting our local farms. Why do we need to buy lettuce from Indonesia and raisins from China? Why can't the government start to be truthful with us and stop playing games with our lives. The only way we can get healthy is by eating healthy. Stop putting the shit into our bodies and stop making it sound like genetically altered food is the wave of the future.

BAD SEED: The Truth About Our Food

No comments: