Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Monday, December 4, 2006

And so it begins...

The first sentence is always the hardest. There, now that thats done, lets move on. My name is Paul and my partner of six very wonderful years is Mark. We meet on-line through Planet Out's personals. The only problem was Mark was living in Ohio and I in California. This may be boring to most and if so, shut up and jump ahead. For those romantics out there here it goes.

Mark had put his personal on Planet Out before I had and since he had been on there for a while, they gave him a prime spot on the front page. After I added my personal on there, I was surfing (does anyone actually use that term anymore?) and came to the front page with Mark's photo. I instantly linked to his site and read everything I could about him. I contacted him and to see if we could be friends. Since he was living in Ohio, we talked on the phone almost every night. For those that know me, this is a rarity. I hate the phone. We made plans to visit each other often and we did.

We met face-to-face on labor day 2000. I remember this because many wonderful and interesting things happened that weekend. For the romantics - I flew 2000+ miles and got off the plane in Ohio and was waiting for a man I had only talked with. Of course the wonderful thoughts of never being seen again were racing through my mind. How could I just jump on a plan and travel halfway across the country to meet a stranger. This only happens in movies.

As I came down the walkway from the plane I noticed that there were very few people in the waiting area. Remember, this was before 911 and people could actually wait for you at the plane. Once I get off the walkway and the door closed behind me, I turn to see - no one. There is no one there waiting for me. I gave him my flight time and plane number right? He knew I was coming today, right? Now all I can see is this man, I barely know, sitting with his friends telling them what he has done and how big of an ass I was. SHIT! Now I am stranded in Ohio for gods sake and I know nobody. No one at all.

Then I turn towards the escalators and (just like in the old black and white movies) this gorgeous man's head slowly comes into view. He is smiling. That was when my heart just melted. He apologized for being late. Something about traffic or something. Not really sure I wasn't really listening. He helped with my carry-on and we headed off to a wonderful weekend. There was one problem that I wasn't ready for, Eva. I love dogs. I am going for my humane leadership degree, but that will come later. Eva decided that I was taking her man and she would not have that. Mark and I had only been laying on the bed for a short time (yes fully clothed) talking and getting to know one another. We then got up and went to watch TV. This was Eva's chance. When we came back after about an hour, Eva had decided that she was going to make claim to Mark. She had peed in the middle of the bed.

Now Eve was not a puppy. At that time she was about 5 years old. She had never done anything like that before with any of Mark's other dates. I was special. She also did not leave a little mark. She let it all loose!!! There was a lake in the middle of the bed. She was sitting in the corner of the room when we came back in. When I looked at her, could I see a little smile? If it happened today, I would have said yes. She knew exactly what she was doing and I think she was proud of herself.

That was six years ago and I remember it as if it happened yesterday. Eva is now a very young 12 years old and still going strong. She loves me like a dad, but I could never replace the wonderful man who is here dad. She doesn't mark her territory (in the house anyway) and she lets me think I am the dominant one. She has two other sisters, Bailey and Phoebe and one brother, Milo. Milo is a cat who thinks himself to be a dog. He and Phoebe have known each other in a previous life I am sure of that. I have never seen a dog and cat hit it off on the first day like these two have. Stories of them will come in future post. They all have wonderful life stories.

Lets see. What am I going to talk about in this little blog? There are so many things that I would like to discuss and probably will. I love animals so you will hear a lot on that. Mark and I are in the middle of adoption and this is the main reason that I started this blog. I wanted something to help guide, terrify and mystify all the other gay, straight, bi couples or singles who are looking to adopt. I will most defiantly be talking about politics and current news because it affects you and me in so many ways. I will be talking about TV and the shows that I like. If you don't like them, not my problem. It just goes to show that we have different taste and my taste are a little better than yours. My dad can also beat up your dad. I will also be talking of books that I may pick up and read. This will probably be a rarity because I don't read that much sine there is TV and school.

To clarify my like of TV, I had to write a paper for school listing the problems that I would find that may hinder my school work. The paper dealt with TiVo, the new season and so many shows to critique, how was possibly going to find time to do school work. Now Mark and I are getting pregnant, which I can't wait for. Our pregnancy, my school, the dogs/cat, Mark and TV. I need a little more hours in the day.

Other things may show up as well because our lives never seem to stop. For that I am happy. So this is the first post and I could write so much more, but if I do I know people will be falling asleep. So I will stop and move on to other things.

No comments: