Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Monday, July 16, 2007

New Baby Daughter...

I know this is old, but here goes - It’s a girl!!! Just wanted to let you know that we have adopted a little baby girl. Her name is Mikayla and she was born 4/18/07 at 12:53 am in White Plains NY. She weighed 7 lbs 3 oz and was 19 inches long. She has a full head of hair and is showing us the meaning of sleep deprivation.

Let me back track here a little. In July of last year, Mark had a dream that we were going to be adopting a new born, African-American baby girl sometime in March or April. We also told the adoption organization that we were using. They laughed a little, but have probably heard the story many times before. The only difference was that we told people last July/August.

Jump to April. We had just moved in to our new house, right across the street from our old one (another story for a different day). I am still doing school, working part-time, while Mark is working full-time, doing freelance at night and starting his Masters. Our lives were a little full so of course God said hey lets have some fun. On Wednesday morning (the 18th) the phone rings and the number is listed as Private – so I ignore thinking that it’s our vet. I take the dogs out and listen to the message when I get back in the house. It’s from Lisa at Friends In Adoption asking for one of us to call here. We were in the process of redoing our profile so I thought she had a question about that. The phone rings again and its Mark. Before he says anything I told him that I heard the message and I will call her soon. He cut me off saying that there was a baby born in White Plains, NY and that Lisa had a couple of questions and wanted to know if we wanted our profile sent to the birth-mother. I started shaking.

I called Lisa and talked to her a little and told her that we would love to have our profile sent and that I talked with Mark and we OK with everything. She then recounted that she remembered the dream that Mark told her about last year. The offices of FIA went crazy trying to find our profile. She told me that we may not know anything until later in the evening (it was 10 am), but she will keep us posted. Mark and I talked many times throughout the day – taking deep breaths and trying not to go crazy.

I had made an appointment with the vet to take the dogs in at 3pm. If we were chosen we needed to kennel the dogs and leave to NY right away. I called Lisa and asked if she heard anything. Nothing. I told her I was leaving to the vets and that if anything happened, call Mark. I didn’t have a cell phone. I rounded up the dogs and left for the vets. The drive there is 45 minutes and my mind was going 100 mph. When I walked in the door, Deb (the vet tech) handed me the phone and told me to call Mark it’s very important. Mark got on the phone and said, “She chose us!!” My heart stopped and I started to tear up and I think a little scream went out as well.

I then took the dogs to the kennel and Mark went home to pack. We started out that night in two separate cars since we didn’t know if one of us would have to come back early. Although she picked us, we had to stay in NY for up to three weeks awaiting the interstate transfer paper. We had to wait only five days. I remember turning onto the exit that read “White Plains” and I started to feel light-headed, I started to sweat, and I thought for sure I was going to throw up. This is what a panic attack feels like. Now remember that I was driving in a separate car – not good. I knew this was going to happen and it scared the hell out of me. We got to meet Mikayla on Thursday morning. Mark was the first to hold here. He was so delicate and when he looked at me, his eyes were full of tears. After a while I got to hold her as well and whenever Mark and I looked at each other we would start to cry again. She was heaven sent.

We left the hospital after many hours to go shopping. We had nothing for a little baby and we need to get everything. We also went out to have our last nice meal at a restaurant for many years. We then went back to the hospital and spent more time with the little one. I was out talking with a nurse and when I came back (I don’t think Mark knew I was there) Mark was looking at Mikayla and said, “How could I fall in love with something so fast, but I do love you” and he kissed her on the head. We then left for the hotel without Mikayla and that night was our last night of uninterrupted sleep for many years.

On Friday she was released from the hospital but we could not leave New York until the interstate transfer papers were filed. This could take anywhere from two days to three weeks. We decided to stay in a hotel in Albany, NY (close to Vermont) and await the call from our social worker letting us know that we could take her home. I ran back to Vermont to get the dogs and bring them to us so they wouldn't have to be kenneled for weeks possibly. Then on Tuesday April 23, we got the word that we could bring her home. Mark too the rest of the week off and I am now a stay at home dad. School is kinda hard since I have to do it between sleeping and eating and changing, but it is all worth it.

There was a thirty day period that the birth mother could change her mind. We made it through that. Mikayla is now almost three months old and learning so much. She is a delight to be around. She hardly ever cries, but when she does - WATCH OUT. There have been days where the crying will not stop. These are the days I am thankful for chocolate. Now we have to wait for our next home study and then we go to New York to do the birth certificate. This should happen no later than August. Will follow up later. Once we have the birth certificate and she is legally ours, we will set up a meet and greet (otherwise known as a baby shower).

1 comment:

Alicia said...

That is a beautiful story. The feeling when you find out you're been chosen to adopt a baby must be second to none.